31st Oct – 1st Nov NI Festival of Racing
- Down Royal Racecourse, The Maze, Lisburn. For
further information tel 028 9262 1256 or log on to www.downroyal.com
1st Purple Turnip Festival
– Castle Gardens, Lisburn. For further info see www.lisburnccm.co.uk.
5th Lisburn Historical Society –
“World War One; why we went to war”. In this centenary year,
leading Military Historian and Author, Richard Doherty, will present his perspectives on the
events of 1914. The Irish Linen Centre/Lisburn Museum at 7.30pm.
6th Soup Lunches in the Parish Room
– Parish Church, Hillsborough. Every Thursday in
November, 12.15pm – 1.30pm, £3.50 per person, all proceeds to Christian Aid.
7th Harry Ferguson Lecture Night
– Hillsborough Village Centre, 7 Ballynahinch Road,
Hillsborough. For further info see www.harryfergusonmemorial.com
8th Damask Community Outreach Car Boot Sale
– Seymour Street Methodist Church premises
from 8am – 12 noon.
11th North of Ireland Family History Society Lisburn Branch
– “What Estate Papers Reveal”, talk
by Valerie Adams. 7.30pm in the Bridge Community Centre, 50 Railway Street, Lisburn. Visitors
and new members are very welcome at any meeting.
14th Pub Quiz & Disco in aid of Downshire Primary School -
Lisnagarvey Hockey Club. For
tickets and further info please ring 028 9268 0604.
15th Christmas Fair & Coffee Morning
– The Leprosy Mission N I, 2a Queen’s Road, Lisburn,
10am – 1pm. Christmas cards, Fair Trade items, gifts etc. Tel 028 9262 9500.
19th Damask Community Outreach Tea Dance
- Seymour Street Methodist Church premises
2pm – 4pm. Music by ‘Housty’. Come for a great afternoon of music, fun and exercise. £3.
20th Christmas Lights Switch On, Festive Parade & Fireworks Display
– Island Civic Centre,
Lagan Valley Island.
25th Mayor’s Charity Fashion Show
– Lagan Valley Island, doors open 6.45pm. Tickets £10
available from the Mayor’s Office Tel 028 9250 9331.
29th Market of Downshire
– Local cross community co-operative market in Hillsborough
Courthouse. Handmade crafts, food etc, coffee shop. 10.30am – 4pm. Contact Kat tel 07526
CHRISTMAS TREE SWITCH ON CEREMONIES – NOVEMBER
20th Lisburn City Christmas Switch-On Event
– from 6.30pm at
Lagan Valley Island, with a lantern parade, Christmas music
from Dynamic Brass, carol singing, SERC performing arts
students, a visit from Santa Claus, a fireworks display and more.
The Mayor, Cllr Andrew Ewing will be in attendance and
well-known DJ Pete Snodden will officiate. Access to the event
will be on foot via Queen’s Road entrance or Gregg Street. The
Council will endeavour to accommodate registered disabled car
parking requests made in advance, please contact Julie Casson,
Marketing Unit, Lisburn City Council on 028 9250 9205. For further
details see facebook.com/lisburncitycouncil or website lisburncity.gov.uk.
Residents’ Association at Ballinderry Primary School 7pm
Community Association at Dunmurry Park, Kingsway 7pm
& District Committee beside War Memorial, Hillsborough 7.30pm
ISLAND HALL/STUDIO THEATRE, LAGAN VALLEY ISLAND
1st Jonathan Harker & Dracula
– Theatre. 8pm. £16/£14.
7th Island Music Club
– Music. 8pm. £14.
13th A Musical Journey From Stage To Screen
– Music. 7.45pm. £15/£12.
14th The Holy, Holy Bus
– Theatre. 8pm. £12/£10.
15th The Illegals
– Music. 8pm. £15/£12.
15th Maurice Dickson
– Music. 8pm. £14.
17th – 19th High School Musical On Stage
– Theatre. 7.30pm (& 2.30pm Tues 18th
21st Neither Either
– Dance. 8pm. £10/£8.
22nd Amber Gordon School Of Dance Christmas Show
– Dance. 7pm. £10.
22nd Andrea Begley
– Music. 8pm. £14/£12.
27th The Magic Of Music Christmas Show
– Music. 7.45pm. £8/£6.
28th Robin Colvill
– Music. 8pm. £12/£10.
29th Christmas Praise Concert
– Music. 7.30pm. £12/£7.
Information on future events available from our Box Office Service 028 9250 9254 or book online
The Function Suite at Lagan Valley Island
– Catering for Private Parties. Contact OCS Tel 028 9250 9325, email: email@example.com
ISLAND Arts Centre, LAGAN VALLEY ISLAND
Exhibitions open to the public Mon – Fri
9.30am – 10pm, Sat 9.30am – 5pm. (Closed Sun & Bank/Public Holidays)
Friday Fun Club
– 4pm – 5.30pm. Sculpture, drawing, painting printmaking and crafts with tutor
Sarah Thomson. 5 weeks. Fri 7th
Nov – 5th
Dec. Cost £22. Ages 5 – 11 yrs.
– 11am – 1pm. 5 weeks. Sat 8th
Nov – 6th
Dec. Cost £25. Age 5 – 8 yrs.
The Clay Club
– 11am – 1pm. Andrea McCullough-Alderdice. 5 weeks. Sat 8th
Nov – 6th
Cost £40 – includes materials.
Chocolate-Making Family Workshop
– Sat 8th
Nov 2pm – 3.30pm. Professional chocolatier,
create personalised chocolate treats. 3 places per family, £29 (additional space £9).
Teens Printmaking Workshop
– Fri 7th
Nov 7pm – 9pm. Learn dry-point (dry etching) print
making with artist Anushiya Sundaralingam. For secondary level students. £8.
For details on all ISLAND Arts Centre events, and workshops, phone 028 9250 9509 or e mail:
, Online: www.islandartscentre.com
IRISH LINEN CENTRE/LISBURN MUSEUM
– Market Square, Tel. 028 9266 3377.
Open: 9.30am– 5.00pm Monday–Saturday. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sat 29th Santa Claus Arrives at the Museum
– please call for further information.
– exhibition exploring the town and its people leading up to the outbreak of the
Great War in August 1914.
Making of a town: 17th Century Lisburn
– exhibition about Lisburn’s foundation and early history;
The Lisburn Cotton Famine, 1861 – 1863
– display in the entrance foyer of the museum marking
the 150 year anniversary of the Cotton Famine and its impact on Lisburn;
Flax to Fabric – the story of Irish Linen –
permanent exhibition including skilled demonstrations of
spinning and weaving, visitors can see the finest costume, dress and household linens dating from a
past when Irish linen from Lisburn was known worldwide.
Digital Film Archive
– A century of moving images from Northern Ireland is available free to all
members of the public. Explore the past through film & TV footage. The DFA computer is located in
the museum foyer.
BRIDGE COMMUNITY CENTRE PROGRAMME
– Tel. 028 9266 2496
- Tues 7pm-8pm tel. Julie 07970 974243;
- Wed 6pm - 9.30pm tel. Lorna 07754148388;
– Sat 10am – 10.45am tel Marina 07794 572359.
Also at Bridge Community Centre:
- AA Support Group, NA Support Group, Horizons Suicide Support Group, Aware Defeat Depression, Macular Disease Support Group, Fibromyalgia Support Group. Further info. Tel 028 9266 2496.
Victim Support NI comes to the Centre on 3rd
Friday of every month (daytime). A Victim Support NI Advice Worker and a trained Victim Support NI volunteer provide support services to local people who have been affected by crime. Contact them for details on 028 9024 3133 or Belfast@victimsupportni.org.uk
LAGAN VALLEY RAMBLING CLUB -
tel. David Jamison 028 9267 8277
Oakfield Glen and Carrickfergus 2pm
Murlough to Newcastle * (Lunch) 10am
Tollymore Forest Park * (Picnic) 10am
Saturday walks meet at the Civic Centre car park (Canal St entrance) and Sunday walks meet at Hill Street car park. Train and Bus returns are optional, so bring your Smart Card, if you have one.
Note (Lunch) means that a hot lunch is normally available, you may bring a Picnic. (Picnic) means that a hot lunch is unlikely to be available.
LISBURN CITIZENS ADVICE BUREAU The one stop shop for advice, based at Bridge Community Centre –
we offer free independent, impartial and confidential advice to all sections of the community. We offer advice on Benefits, Debt, Employment, Housing, Tax Credits, Education, Consumer Issues, etc.
We can be contacted by email email@example.com
– 028 9266 2251, Mon – Fri 9.30am – 12 noon & 1.30pm – 4.00pm.
In person advice
– by appointment only, please telephone 028 9266 2251 during above hours to book. Appointments available -
Mon 9.30am – 12 noon & 1.30pm – 4pm; Tues 9.30am – 12 noon, 1.30pm – 4pm, & 7pm – 8pm; Wed 9.30am – 12 noon, 1.30pm – 4pm; Thurs 9.30am – 12 noon & 7pm – 8pm; Fri 9.30am – 12 noon & 1.30pm – 4pm; Sat 9am – 11am.
Money Advice Service
– free service for anyone struggling to deal with debt, strictly by appointment. Tel 028 9262 7977 (NB this number is only for money advice appointments).
– advice on welfare benefit appeals and representation at welfare benefit tribunals. Strictly by appointment only. Tel 028 9266 2251
– various venues/times, please see website or ask Lisburn office for details.
You can now view our new website LisburnCAB.
ATLAS WOMENS CENTRE -
Offer a wide variety of low cost and free activities to the community.
Atlas Café is open Mon – Fri 8.30am – 2pm, for soup, stew, sandwiches, and home baked scones & buns at low cost prices. 7 Bachelors Walk, Lisburn, BT28 1XJ. Tel. 028 9260 5806.
DAMASK COMMUNITY OUTREACH
– Weekly advice drop-ins, parent and toddler group and youth drop-ins, a befriending service and monthly tea dance and car boot sale, at Seymour Street Methodist Church premises. For further information please phone 07778 119231 for more details.
HILLSBOROUGH VILLAGE CENTRE
– See centre programme for details of the wide variety of activities on offer. Tel 028 9268 3015 or www.hillsboroughvillagecentre.com
LAGANVIEW ENTERPRISE CENTRE –
For information on programme contact Joanne, Centre Manager, Tel 028 92670055. Senior Citizens Saturday Club weekly meetings 7pm – 9pm. Everyone welcome.
LISBURN DOWNTOWN CENTRE
– Social and drop-in groups for a variety of people including people with mild learning disabilities, mental health problems and senior citizens, also parenting groups and carer support group. Tel. 028 9267 2052.
LAGAN VALLEY LEISUREPLEX
For further information tel. 028 9267 2121 or visit www.lisburncity.gov.uk
for details of opening times and classes.
BROOK ACTIVITY CENTRE
Tel 028 90301848, email firstname.lastname@example.org
(or call in and speak to staff for more info). Centre has fitness suite, snooker hall, main hall, committee room, party packages, new 3G pitch (limited availability for casual use, extremely popular). Ask for details of activities/clubs. New members currently welcome for Bowls, Tues 11am – 1pm; Ballet Class, Mon 2.15pm – 4.15pm; Judo Class, Sat 11.30am – 12.20pm ages 5 – 14 yr olds, £4; Basketball Sat Sessions, 9.30am – 10.30am, £3. Fitness Suite – latest hi-tech equipment, qualified staff available for beginners 10am – 1pm every Thurs. Ladies Keep-fit Tues 7.30pm – 8.30pm, £2.50, Boxercise Class Thurs 7pm – 8pm, £2.50, for men & women. Please contact centre for more details/enrolment.
GLENMORE ACTIVITY CENTRE
Tel 028 92 662830, email email@example.com
Fitness Suite; Birthday Party Packages; Squash Court; Main Sports Hall available for Casual Hire; Games Room/Committee Rooms may be booked for Rock Band Rehearsals & Meetings. Ask for details of activities/clubs, including Badminton Club, Over 50’s classes (Circuits, Pilates), After School Dance Class, Tae Kwondo, After School Basketball, Circuit Training, Indoor Cycling, Gymnastics Club, Roller Disco monthly (contact Centre for date), Gillian Doogan School of Dance Sat 9am – 12noon (girls
3 yrs+, Stage, Cheerleading, Freestyle). %